How-to: View live video feed

Forum for How-to topics. (Video stream, calibration etc)
Tom
Site Admin

How-to: View live video feed

Postby Tom » Sun Aug 28, 2016 9:13 pm

To be able to view your live video feed, follow the following steps:

1. Open the SidePilot app and navigate to the Video Stream page.
2. Click on settings in the top right corner
3. Choose the stream type. If you are using a RTSP Stream, select HTTP. If you are using a MJPEG or UDP Stream (Such as from a raspberry pi), select MJPEG. If using a 3DR Solo, select 3DR solo.
4. Enter the URL address of the stream. For solo this will be disables.
5. If you wish to show the video on the main screen, enable this option here.
6. When you click save the stream should start straight away. If not, there is something wrong!
7. You are able to tap the video to pause/play the video stream. (Only MJPED and HTTP streams).

If you wish to view your video stream on the main screen and have enabled this in the settings, it will show up when the device is in landscape mode. It is possible to switch the video feed and the map by triple tapping the video feed. To return, triple tap the video again.

ISSUES: If the video will not work, ensure you are able to view the feed in an app such as VLC or safari first. If still unable you may have a setting wrong, if you are able, then there is something wrong with the app. Please message me if that is the case.

NOTE: Live video may be very intensive on your device. If you notice lag or slow performance it is recommended to disable live video and restart the app.

mtp9388

Re: How-to: View live video feed

Postby mtp9388 » Tue Nov 08, 2016 6:41 pm

Hi Tom,
Your app looks great and I cant wait to try it out. However, I am quite new to the world of UAV and wanted to ask a few questions:
- What is the best way to get a UDP video stream to my iphone (in VLC and sidepilot) from a Raspberry PI (and PI camera) running as a companion computer to Pixhawk on my drone?
- I have seen various ways in which people have setup their RPI with Pixhawk but I was just wondering what you would recommend is best for Sidepilot?
- If my iphone is connected to a wifi hotspot created by the onboard raspberry PI (5GHz) would telemetry and video streaming work in Sidepilot? https://pixhawk.org/peripherals/onboard_computers/access_point

Thanks

Tom
Site Admin

Postby Tom » Tue Nov 08, 2016 8:05 pm

mtp9388 wrote:Hi Tom,
Your app looks great and I cant wait to try it out. However, I am quite new to the world of UAV and wanted to ask a few questions:
- What is the best way to get a UDP video stream to my iphone (in VLC and sidepilot) from a Raspberry PI (and PI camera) running as a companion computer to Pixhawk on my drone?
- I have seen various ways in which people have setup their RPI with Pixhawk but I was just wondering what you would recommend is best for Sidepilot?
- If my iphone is connected to a wifi hotspot created by the onboard raspberry PI (5GHz) would telemetry and video streaming work in Sidepilot? https://pixhawk.org/peripherals/onboard_computers/access_point

Thanks

Hi! Thanks for the question!

You will want to set up the raspberry pi as a MAVLink repeater. (Basically so that it can send and receive the data from the Pixhawk over the WiFi network via UDP)
Then you should be able to connect to the UAV in SidePilot when connected to the WiFi network.

Then you will want to set up the video stream. I am not 100% sure yet if the Gstreamer method will work as I haven't tested that configuration yet, feel free to try that first! If not, ffmpeg or Motion should both work to stream the video. If you can access the video stream using safari, you will be able to access it in SidePilot.

Both Telemetry and Video will work at the same time, however be careful with the bandwidth of the WiFi, and the range.

Let me know if you have any more questions!

Tom

ESchlegel

Postby ESchlegel » Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:59 am

Hi, love the app because the 3DR app has now apparently become obsolete. The live video is working, but when I push the record button, nothing happens. Do you have any suggestions?
Thanks

Tom
Site Admin

Postby Tom » Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:03 am

ESchlegel wrote:Hi, love the app because the 3DR app has now apparently become obsolete. The live video is working, but when I push the record button, nothing happens. Do you have any suggestions?
Thanks

Make sure you are connected to the Solo by tapping the connection button in the top right corner, just because video is showing doesn't mean that you are connected fully.

Thanks!
Tom

ESchlegel

Postby ESchlegel » Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:40 am

Hi Tom,
Thanks for the quick reply. I did double check today that it was connected and still no luck. It acts like it is being pressed, but just stays as a circle and doesn't record. I have a screenshot of you need that.

Return to “How-to ...”